LEE, Thomas (bef.1527-72), of Clattercote, Oxon.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. bef. 1527, 1st s. of Thomas Lee, merchant taylor, of London, by Elizabeth, da. of Thomas Rolleston of Swarkeston, Derbys., wid. of William Whitlock, merchant taylor, of London. educ. M. Temple bef. 1550. m. Mary, da. of Morgan Wolfe of Meriden, Warws., s.p. suc. fa. 1527.
J.p. Oxon 1562.
In the 1550s Lee began to build up a landed estate, receiving a grant of the site of Clattercote priory from the dean and chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, in 1551. In 1553 he and Peter Temple of Burton Dasset, Warwickshire, purchased the manor of Butlers Marston for £733 12s. 6d.. and in 1559 he and Bartholomew Brokesby paid £1,273 19s.6¼d. for lands in Cambridge, Cumberland, Oxfordshire and Shropshire. Lee inherited from his mother a house in Wood Street, London, and the manor of Severn Stoke, Worcestershire. Instead of following his father’s calling, Lee preferred to live as a country gentleman. His principal estate in Oxfordshire was close to Banbury, for which borough he was returned to Elizabeth’s first Parliament. He bequeathed £20 to the poor of the town in the will he made 12 Apr. 1572. It was proved 25 June of the same year. He asked to be buried at Cropredy, as near to his mother as possible. His landed estate was settled on his wife, after whose death Cropredy was to go to a nephew. The executors included Edward Onley of Catesby, Northamptonshire, into whose family his mother had married. Lee died at Clattercote 26 Apr. 1572.
PCC 8 Jankyn, 11 Ketchyn, 17 Dyngeley, 22 Porch, 23 Daper, 31 Ayloffe; E. K. Chambers, Sir Henry Lee, 256; Genealogist, n.s. xiii. 124-5; CPR, 1553 and App. Edw. VI, p. 75; 1558-60, pp. 357-8, 386; 1560-3, p. 441.