PARRY (AP HARRY), John (1517/18-84 or later), of Carmarthen, Carm.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 1517/18. m. Cecily, da. of Hugh Vaughan of Kidwelly, 1s.1
Comptroller of customs, Milford Haven, Pemb. 10 May 1559-84 or later; collector of subsidy, Carmarthen 1562; bailiff, Carmarthen 1563-4.2
Parry was first returned for Carmarthen Boroughs where his brother-in-law John Vaughan II was mayor, and again to Elizabeth’s first Parliament. He acquired lands in Gloucestershire in 1553, and nine years later in partnership with a London goldsmith, rents and reversions forfeited to the Crown on the attainder of Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd, not only in the south of his own shire but in five adjacent Welsh counties and the border shires of Hereford and Shropshire. Further ecclesiastical property in New Carmarthen came his way in 1571, and at the same time he took a not very profitable lease of certain crown dues in Cardiganshire. The last reference found to Parry is in 1584.3
Ref Volumes: 1558-1603
- 1. E178/3345, m. gv.
- 2. E159/340, recognizances Easter 45; 179/264/10; Welsh Port Bks. (Cymmrodorion Rec. Ser. xii), 329; NLW ms 5586B, p. 10.
- 3. CPR, 1553-4, p. 367; 1560-3, p. 284; Augmentations, ed. Lewis and Davies (Univ. Wales Bd. of Celtic Studies, Hist. and Law ser. xiii), 230, 236, 260, 269; Welsh Port Bks. 329.