LANGFORD, Humphrey (c.1636-85), of Langford Hill, Marhamchurch, Cornw.

Published in The History of Parliament: the House of Commons 1660-1690, ed. B.D. Henning, 1983
Available from Boydell and Brewer



28 Apr. - 24 June 1685

Family and Education

b. c.1636, o.s. of William Langford (d.1686) of Langford Hill by Elizabeth, da. of Hugh Prouse of Chagford, Devon. educ. King’s, Camb. 1655; G. Inn 1655. m. 1da.1

Offices Held

Commr. for assessment, Cornw. 1677-80, j.p. 1680-d.; mayor and coroner, Tintagel 1684-d.2


The Cornish Langfords can be traced back to the 14th century. Langford’s father seems to have avoided commitment during the Civil War and Interregnum, but in 1672 he was granted a long lease of a duchy of Cornwall manor. As Langford was added to the Comish commission of the peace in 1680, and confirmed as mayor of Tintagel under the new charter he must have opposed exclusion.In the latter capacity he conducted the 1685 election at Bossiney, while he was himself returned to James II’s Parliament for Camelford. He was appointed only to the committee on the bill to enable the inhabitants of Soho to build St. Anne’s church. He died on 24 June during the session and was buried in Westminster Abbey, the only member of the family to enter Parliament. On his father’s death in the following year his daughter brought the estate to her husband, one of the Devon Langfords.3

Ref Volumes: 1660-1690

Author: Paula Watson


  • 1. Vivian, Vis. Cornw. 277; Westminster Abbey Reg. (Harl. Soc. x), 213; J. Maclean, Trigg Minor, iii. 166.
  • 2. Maclean, iii. 206-7.
  • 3. Cal. Treas. Bks. ii. 1168, 1213, 1224; Vivian, Vis. Cornw. 277; Vis. Devon, 521; Westminster Abbey Reg. 213.