Hanoverians

Twins in Parliament: the Grenvilles and Buckingham Borough, 1774

Twins in Parliament: the Grenvilles and Buckingham Borough, 1774

Buckingham, a corporation borough with only 13 electors, was entirely under the control of the Grenvilles. At the general election of 1774, the head of the family, the 2nd Earl Temple, returned for the two Buckingham parliamentary seats his nephews James Grenville (1742-1825) and Richard Grenville (1742-1823), who were twins. James had sat for Thirsk from 1765 to 1768 and had first been elected for Buckingham in 1770. Richard entered Parliament for the first (and only) time at this election and retired at the dissolution of the 1774 Parliament in 1780. They are thought to be the first known pair of twins to sit together in Parliament.

The first Grenville to sit for Buckingham was Richard (1678-1727), who transferred from Wendover at the 1722 general election. He had married Hester Temple, the sister and heiress of Sir Richard Temple, Viscount Cobham; she was created Countess Temple on succeeding to the Temple country residence of Stowe in 1749 (now a famous public school). It was the estate at Stowe which gave the family a commanding interest in nearby Buckingham, where the corporation (local council) was packed with a biddable set of tenants and employees. One of the two seats was held by a Grenville from 1734 and, once the rival interest belonging to George Denton had been seen off, the second seat was also held by a Grenville between 1747 and 1780.

Five of Richard and Hester Grenville’s six sons sat in Parliament, although not all at the same time. Their eldest son, another R