HOWE, Sir Richard Grobham, 2nd Bt. (1621-1703), of Withington and Chedworth, Glos., and Great Wishford, Wilts.
Available from Boydell and Brewer
Family and Education
b. 28 Aug. 1621, 1st s. of Sir John Howe, 1st Bt., of Little Compton, Withington, by Bridget, da. of Thomas Rich, master in Chancery, of North Cerney, Glos. educ. Hart Hall, Oxf. 1640; L. Inn 1641. m. (1) settlement 7 Oct. 1648 (with £4,000), Lucy (d. 1658), da. of Sir John St. John, 1st Bt.†, of Lydiard Tregoze, Wilts., 5s. (4 d.v.p.) 4da. (1 d.v.p.); (2) Anne, da. of John King, bp. of London 1611–12, wid. of John Dutton† of Sherborne, Glos., s.p. Kntd. c.1665; suc. fa. as 2nd Bt. c.1671.1
Gent. of privy chamber (extraordinary) July 1660.2
Sheriff, Wilts. 1668–9; freeman, Salisbury 1672, Wilton 1685; commr. for rebel estates, Wilts. 1686.3
Howe, whose Great Wishford estate was situated just three miles away from Wilton, was returned for the borough in 1690, and was classed in two lists by Lord Carmarthen (Sir Thomas Osborne†) as a Whig and a Court supporter. Carmarthen also marked him as a Court supporter in December, though in April 1691 Robert Harley* counted him as a member of the Country party. An inactive Member, the only occasion Howe is mentioned in the Journals, apart from routine committee nominations, was on 31 Dec. 1691 when he was granted two weeks’ leave of absence to recuperate from illness. He did not stand again after 1695 and died on 3 May 1703, leaving his entire estate to his only surviving son, Richard Grobham*. He was buried at Great Wishford.4